Look people, you can come over here, jump on my #SecondStringHeroes for being average against a nothing team in the Europa League… but here’s the thing, I don’t care. You are wrong. You don’t f*cking get it.
Arsenal are progressing in Europe. We already won our game away from home. We’re through the the last 32 with Lazio and Dynamo Kiev (blast from our Wembley CL past). Things are just fine.
Was the game perfect? No. Giroud and Jack were both guilty of missing fine chances. We worryingly let them in a few times. The game was a bit smelly, you know, ‘I stepped in something walking the dog’ and you’re not quite sure if you’ve shaken it off type of smelly.
But look, it’s job done. So who cares? More experience for the kids. Some energy in the legs of players who wouldn’t have landed a game last season. The quadruple still well and truly on, and if you want my view, highly likely.
We all know that the real focus this week is for Sunday.
Chelsea face a make or break game against United after a dirty 3-0 drubbing away at that excellent Roma. Conte rumoured to be a total disaster behind the scene. Will his players turn on him?
Arsenal take on one of the most well-oiled Pep machines we’ve seen since Barcelona.
Lucky for us, he took a full squad to Napoli and started Aguero, Sane, KDB and Gundogan. That’s a slog. The players will have landed early Thursday morning. They’ll have rolled into bed at 4. Had a terrible nights sleep. Not ideal prep, unless you’re one of those freaks that thought international travel was fine when Aguero took in a concert 48hrs before a game.
> FYI plane travel isn’t great
Arsenal players on the other hand have had a week off, none of our first team players were anywhere near the first team last night. That will have given time to Arsene to formulate a master plan of dastardly deceit.
City has conceded 4 goals in two games. They conceded those goals off 10 shots on target.
If we can snipe at them, and be at our clinical best, we can score. The main issue is going to be how our backline holds up, and more importantly, how our porous midfield deals with the pace, power and trickery Pep has beaten into them.
City are on their best ever run, going 22 games in all competitions unbeaten. Here are some more stats that’ll make you do a panic wee.
- Manchester City have made the best start to a Premier League season after 10 games, collecting 28 points (won nine, drawn one) with a goal difference of+29.
- The Citizens are now unbeaten in 21 games in all competitions (won 17, drawn four) – the longest run without defeat in their history.
- Guardiola’s side have now won their last eight Premier League games by an aggregate score of 32-5.
- City completed 844 passes in this game; the most by a team in the Premier League since the start of the 2003-04 campaign.
- West Brom, meanwhile, have lost 15 of their last 16 Premier League games against Manchester City (drawn one), conceding 43 goals in this run.
- Sterling has scored nine goals in all competitions in 2017-18; the most of any Manchester City player, while only Harry Kane (13) and Romelu Lukaku (11) have netted more among Premier League players.
- Sane has had a hand in 11 goals in his last seven Premier League games for Man City (six goals, five assists).
The genius of Pep even extends to getting the most out of Raheem Sterling, a player I always liked but worried about attitude wise.
Even better than that, he’s made the John Stones fans look like heroes, turning him into one of the most accomplished young defenders in the world this season.
He really is the best in the business.
BUT, Arsene is a wily old fox. Sometimes he surprises you. He’s the kid that turns up and aces the test with no practice, don’t worry what happens when he discovers weed and Rick & Morty in February. Just know he has it in him to surprise people, especially when NO ONE expects him to drop a winning performance.
I’m starting to get excited. I’m currently heading into a dilemma where the fear is work are going to ask me to come in on Sunday. It’s me vs the machine at this point. Can I say no?
Yeah I can.
I can right?
‘But I need to drink all day’
Let’s see how that works out.
For now, see you on the other side… and for fucks sake, listen to the damn podcast, and click subscribe so I don’t have to keep asking you to listen.