Tuesday has landed and we are all happy because of it. Why? Because Arsenal play Reading in the League Cup. What does that mean?
Legend of Jeff continues… canny wait to see him play an ok game and think of a Messi like future.
Should be an interesting match-up this evening, Wenger has the chance to rest all his favourites, he has the chance to bring in some of the squad players in from the cold and he has the chance to blood some of our very talented youth.
We’ll have the chance to see a bit of Rob Holding, who in my opinion should probably spend some time out on loan in the second half of the season if he’s not seeing any action. We’ll get to see Maitland-Niles at right back. We’ll see Jeff. Maybe Chuba? Plenty of opportunity to try out new players.
A player we won’t see is Xhaka, he is thankfully allowed to waste a game of suspension on this evening. So who will we see in his place? Hopefully not Coquelin. I’d like to see Elneny given another run out, put paid to a pretty average performance at the weekend. Could we see Chamberlain support him in a confusing central role he’ll never land in the Premier League? It’d be very Wenger. Like letting Theo have one go at being a striker at year. Who will play in the number 10 role? Will Giroud land a start up front, or will he come on for Lucaz on 67minutes?
Guys and gals, I just don’t know. Hopefully it’ll be fun. I have 2 hours scratched out on my calendar to watch it because I am a badass.
The AGM was pretty lacking in excitement. Ivan Gazidis basically said what I said in my morning post… the ticket exchange is going to go mobile. About time too. Not sure how that will look, but we have IBM as a partner, so you’d hope it’d be pretty advanced.
Arsene Wenger gave a speech, that, according to some of his accolytes, sounded like goodbye. Sir Chips, a man kept highly salaried to embarrassingly pander to Wenger said he’d ideally like to keep him on for eternity because he got a lifestyle to support. What Ivan and Chipz both said was the deal talk was not on the table. However, it’s worth noting that Stan K gave a secret deal to his underperforming LA Rams manager… despite less than impressive performances by his side so far this season.
Someone pointed out here earlier that we’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t. If Wenger wins the league, he should really stay, but ideally, that’d be the most likely time for him to bow out. If he finishes a solid 3rd, which is par the course for him, he’ll likely stay on for two more years.
For me, this is a Bayern Munich like situation. Move him on at the end of the season, give him a fat salary to preside over something substantive, like perhaps helping to refresh a board bereft of youth… then let someone reshaped the club in a modern vision.
We’ll wait out the season, but regardless of progress over the next 9months, if it’s not title challenging, we’re just going to spend more years swimming around ‘nearly’… appreciate that might be nice for the coughers, but what’s the point in running a football club just for nice profit and loss figures?
Surely all a club the size of Arsenal should care about is making history every season, or at least making sure we’re always giving ourselves the best possible chance?
There are exciting coaches popping up all over the place. Julian Nagelsmann, the 29 year old Hoffenheim manager is pulling up trees in Germany at the moment. He doesn’t truly believe in the formation, he uses data to analyse how often you’re in the marking shadow, thinks tactics are 30% of the job, the other 70% is social competence. He talks of Ralf Rangnick’s new style of pressing where his teams give the ball away in particular areas to make getting it straight back advantageous… meta or what?
You have David Wagner, Jurgen Klopp’s old partner in crime doing exciting things over at Huddersfield. Lucian Favre earning his keep at Nice. Madrid sniffing around Tomas Tuchel. So many names bringing new thoughts to the beautiful game.
So an important year for Wenger. But if it’s his last season, I think that’s good news… I just hope we don’t play it super bland with a Ronald Koeman like signing.
Right, me done. See you in the comments.