So the story doing the rounds this morning is that Jamie Vardy has asked Arsenal and Leicester for a cheeky month to decide his future.
Now, you have to do the math here.
1. He’s done it all at Leicester. He’s a legend. Case closed.
2. Leicester are going to likely be a shambles next season. That set up will not be able to handle the pressure, the Champions League, big teams getting their shit together and the aggression that teams are going to take into decimating their system. It’s over for them, do you want to be part of a mid-table side or a sinking ship? I wouldn’t.
3. Jamie Vardy has the one of the greatest books lined up. Non-league ‘Chat shit, get banged’ to Premier League Champion with a celebrity wedding. That is unreal. What would make it more unreal is going to a mega club. Whatever our past ten years have looked like, we’re one of the biggest supported outfits on the planet. That would be a crowning glory.
4. Man’s gotta get cashed before you get crocked. Sure, he’s on good money at Leicester, but jeez, you’re a long time retired. If he goes to Arsenal, he not only increases his salary, he increases his values to sponsors. He needs to take care of his future, he’s an old man in this game, if he wants to milk his career hard, he needs this move.
5. A big chunk of our problems last season came from not having a person capable of scoring in a team that boasted the most creative player in the universe. It’s a pretty smart move if you’re Vardy. Move to a place where you’re more likely to score than the last place. That’s progression if you make it work.
Ok, so who or what might be throwing a spanner in the works?
Well, firstly, he won’t want to come off like a mercenary. Kissing the shirt one minute, hero of your adropted town… then you sack it off as soon as something sexier comes along? That doesn’t look good. He could make this decision look really tough, spend a month working things out then make the heartfelt prezzer that makes it look like he had no choice.
Secondly, he could be doing what all great nouveau talented players do. PUSH FOR MORE. He’s on record as saying London is a pile of horror, not right for his northern mindset. He might be looking at Manchester United and what’s going on there, he might hope Chelsea come in for him… or he might recognize he has Arsenal over a barrel and he could get more cash if he embarrasses Gazidis.
‘IT’S HAPPENED AGAIN, IT’S HAPPENED AGAIN, IVAN GAZIDIS, IT’S HAPPENED AGAIN’ will be running through our CEOs release clause themed dreams for sure. I bet he’d pay a bit extra to make it happen.
Thirdly, he may have seen all the Leicester fans making bad words at his wife on Twitter. Could be a bit like that time a gangster told Stevie G to forget about Chelsea. Then he did. Maybe. Maybe not.
Things you need to be aware of as an Arsenal fan. We WILL have made sure we spoke to his people before we made the bid. He’ll have been told his wages, his contract length, where to live, where to eat, what we’d do for his GF, how we’d teach him to behave in London plus Arsene will have him on a summer sommelier course to sharpen his shoddy taste in booze.
So for Arsenal fans to critique the club for what’s going on now is beyond ridiculous. You never know what’s going to happen with these sort of deals, and this was most likely not on the cards.
Is it embarrassing? Yes. Would it kill you inside if we missed out on him? It wouldn’t me. He’s a solution to a problem, but look, there are plenty of solutions, maybe even solutions that are more long-term, maybe have better technique and maybe more interested in saying yes right away.
He’s a solution to a problem, but look, there are plenty of solutions, maybe even solutions that are more long-term, maybe more suited and maybe more interested in saying yes right away.
Jamie Vardy would be ideal for the now. But so would a lot of strikers lined up against Giroud and Theo Walcott. As Eddie Murphy would say, Arsenal fans are the starving man presented with a cracker. Jamie Vardy is a tasty cracker, but there are many equally tasty crackers out there.
Fingers crossed this is just games, if it’s not, we’re The Arsenal and we’ll find someone else (pray for a plan B). Key for me is not to wait a month for all the best ones to have mega Euro / Copa America valuations.
David Sullivan, by the way, thinks our move for Vardy is mental…
“It is safe to say that signing him would have smashed our current wage structure and we are determined to buy players with good value in this mad market.”
Can’t argue with him, but hey, when you’re mega rich, you don’t need value, you need effectiveness.
Annnnnnd, just so you know. Kicker in Germany are reporting Dortmund will sell Mkhitaryan if a big enough bid is made (roughly £27m). Let’s hope this deal runs a bit smoother…
According to Kicker Dortmund might think about selling Mkhitaryan this summer after all if he refuses to extend his contract. #BVB
— Sandra Goldschmidt (@SanBorussia) June 5, 2016
Check this out before you go. You can see how Wenger would use him, great on the break, deadly with a striker that can finish, PLUS he scores goals from right across the front line. Very exciting player, praying hard we land him.