Oh good morning you sweet sexy souls!
Last night I found more internet friends, and my oldest companion, booze… there she was, licking my face well into the night.
Also ended up in a hotel with a bunch of guys who started an electric skateboard company called Boosted. 6miles worth of charge and a top speed of 22mph!
IT WAS A COOL MACHINE.
Arsenal though, now where are we here?
So a chap called Hendrick has left the Arsenal to go to Aston Villa to reunite with Tom Fox. From what I understand of this mysterious character (and we’ve spoken of him before), he was the right hand man of Ivan. He’d pull a lot of strings behind the scenes. He’d have played a very important role in bringing Shad Forsythe in last summer. He’d have been the chap who bought that analytics company we struggled to utilise under Wenger.
He’s apparently a super smart guy genius educated person thing, but I reckon it’s a fabulous opportunity rather than a teary sad one. Our backroom set up has hardly been incredible and it’s only really taken shape over the last year. Bringing shiny things into the club is only worthwhile if you have the talent to get them implemented. Think we’ve have a lot of sparkly computers being used as door stops over the last 5 years or so. Maybe I’m being unfair here, because Wenger is very stubborn and he’s been the equivalent of getting your nan to contribute to a Reddit AMA.
This for me is a massive opportunity to bring someone to the club who has major football experience with a winning entity… well, maybe not even winning, just an entity that performs beyond its means. There are so many incredibly smart people in sport at the moment. It wouldn’t shock me if we replaced him with someone from another sport. A more advanced sport. In football, 90% of clubs have exactly the same approach… the best clubs do incredible things with that remaining 10%.
We need a person who can impact that 10%. I feel we’ve just moved into the 90% after spending so long in the dark. I mean, it’s amazing that we’ve been able to hit top four so consistently despite being a train wreck behind the scenes. So props to Wenger there.
Change is a good thing. Especially in an area of the business that needs constant rethinking to assess where you are in relation to competition. The only way to get Wenger to listen is to bring in people with big personalities with BIG CVs.
Over to you Ivan…
Gibbs reckons it’s about getting sharp for the season…
“What’s key is that we continue the form, continue the belief that we’ve shown over the last two years. I think the team has grown, if we can keep everyone fit, we can really aim for the league.”
We saw the impact Shad had on the side in the second half of the season. Hopefully that’ll have given him a tremendous reputation boost heading into preseason. We’ll have a team properly managed from start to finish this year, which is an excellent position to be in. You can have the best players, but if they’re broken or fatigued, you’re not winning anything. This will be part of our 10% this year. Can the club have a season without the traditional injury collapse? You’d have to say that if we did manage that, we’d have at the very least, 9 points additional in the bag.
On the exit roster, David Ospina is a £7m target of Bilbao, which is bloody great news! That’s more money than we paid for him. He’ll do well in Spain as well. Obviously the Colombian packed in the idea of Fener when he heard Robin was stinking the place out. Another player on his way us Joel Campbell. Apparently he’s not happy going out on his 52nd loan spell and the fee is about £6m, which is goooooood dollar.
I wonder if we’ll shift on Chezzer? I wonder what fee we’d get? Not a big one. But, say, £10m? He’s basically just in need of a good 1982 spanked backside. He has the talent, but he’s been a bad boy. Stick him with Van Gaal, regular spankings of a not too pleasurable nature. That might get more from him. LVG loves a project.
Also, good news on the way… like, two Le Grove competitions with PRIZES. Stay tuned for that over the weekend.
Also, you’ll have to accept me doing a PR thing in August, but it’s football related and I’m pretty good for almost never doing stuff with brands, but you can’t turn down a Barca game.
Right, I don’t think I have much more to give? Bar the eternal love I have for your readership…
SEE YA’LL TOMORROW xxx